Wednesday 22 December 2010

Contact List

Sadly, I fear I havent sent any questionaires off to artist enquiring about their artwork techniques, their influences or how they go about finding inspiration.. but I'm hoping to speak to them more on a direct level about what its like to work as a freelance artist, what sort of environment do they work in? are they at home or in a studio? i just havent gotten around to formulating a coherent bunch of questions yet...

I have however began 'chatting' to some artist I like and follow on Twitter. I think I've already mentioned how I am starting to use twitter as a quick way to spark a conversation with someone.. the short 140 character statements can lead to a reply which sparks more conversation later.. taking a leaf from Jane Brain's book.. I have almost started to try form friendships with these people, casually talking about off topic subjects or agreeing/disagreeing with a statement/tweet...



a couple of artist in particular that I have been successful in talking are...

www.twitter.com/jammyrobots
(Manchester based illustrator)

www.twitter.com/lunartik
(London based illustrator who has recently moved to Berlin, creator of the Lunartik's in a cup of Tea)

www.twitter.com/guymckinley
(Manchester based Illustrator)


I have in the past tried contacting a few famous artists such as Jim Mahfood and Ashley Wood.. however I feel my ramblings and annoying questions wouldnt have warranted any of their time.. I have also briefly spoken to another couple of artists, Berlin based Tim Wolff (Tim Robot) and Manchester based Dok A (Bruce) about contacting them for feedback on my work as well as discussing their own... but I feel Twitter is an excellent place to start up conversations and to get noticed.. rather than being another random email lost in a spam box.. you can be a random statement lost in a sea of tweets... only kidding.. the nature of twitter being short statements means replies can be typed quickly whilst on the move and not require any huge expendeture of their time.. often checked on lunch breaks or whilst travelling..

anyway.. to follow will be a list of Clients I would like to work for, who could sell my work or who could distribute it....

Kidrobot - HUGE vinyl and designer toy DISTRIBUTER.. (i highlight the word Distributer because they dont design the toys.. but they often approach artists and then source chinese factories to mass produce them). Their retail stores are predominantly US based.. but have a UK store down London. So far... i have not found a "head office" for KR... but each of the stores has a email address that I could try contacting... the website seems to only offer customer service options for web placed orders... (KidRobot was actually started by Paul Bunditz, and I am following him on twitter, so maybe I could try chatting with him directly? )

www.kidrobot.com - main US site.
www.kidrobot.eu - European site.



Adfunture - Another toy distributer, based in Shanghai.. but its the fact they put out the 'Teddy Troops' I like by Flying Fortress :)

www.adfuntureworkshop.com




Toy2R - Yet ANOTHER toy distributer, based in Hong Kong this time...

www.toy2r.com



PatchTogether - Now, where the previous contacts are only distributers... PatchTogether is a lot like Threadless.com in that.. you submit your own designs, people then vote and raise their popularity, and then they produce and sell your characters as vinyl toys (limited edition). I'm already signed up to PatchTogether.. but Im not confident enough with some of my designs.. need to have a chat with some people and get some feedback I think...





Magma - I'm more accustomed to visiting the Manchester store, but I cant help but spend when I visit the Magma product and book stores in London. They are more high-end when it comes to limited edition artist goods but if I could get them to sell my artwork or products (when I create some)...

www.magmabooks.com



Travelling Man - A smaller, sort of independent, comic store... mainly catering to comics and role playing games rather than the toys and clothing I aim to produce.. but I am good friends with Haroon and Abby in the Manchester store... Haroon is a local DJ/comic nerd with a background in art and Abby is a freelance comic artist having worked on 2000AD, Tom & Jerry and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... I currently have one of my D&AD posters on display in the store and some of my stickers on the counter. Because of our friendship I would like to think I could approach them to possibly sell or display some of my work in store.. this is also why I'm not listing Forbidden Planet (another chain store focused on comics and toys) but they are a larger company, although they do sell vinyl toys.. theres less room for local artists as the only seem to deal with distributors.

travellingman



Thunder Egg - A small shop located in the trendy Northern Quarter of Manchester... they sell a mix of pop culture, retro, kitch, folky products... the current trend for these sort of items means that more shops could be willing to give aspiring artists their big break and sell their products.. numerous "vintage" shops are based around the NQ so the possibility to approach these independently or even setting up my own pop up stall would be an option.. maybe not alone.. but a few of us could make a go of this if we produced enough products...




Richard Goodall Gallery - Hidden amongst the many back streets in the Northern Quarter sits the Richard Goodall Gallery, home to many limited gig posters and vinyl toys. Due to me always heading in there either to buy toys or for artist signings.. i have started to form a sort of business friendship.. i wouldnt say they'd invite me for a cup of tea.. be we can exchange pleasantries... If I was to create my own range of toys... this would be the first place I would look to selling them...

www.richardgoodallgallery.com




Play Lounge - A London based shop, similar to Magma and Richard Goodall Gallery, but a lot smaller and only for toys... They seem to be fairly popular within the vinyl toy scene.. so maybe if I conquer Manchester.. this would be my next step in trying to take London.

www.playlounge.co.uk


Threadless - A website where you submit your own designs to public vote in hopes that they will get printed. This is an easy and effortless way to get your work out there.. it involves very little effort in terms of printing your designs and selling them( unlike setting up an Etsy store)... but i wonder just how they make their money on this.. do they take a commission if your design sells well?

www.threadless.com



Spunky - back when I first realised I wanted to design for a living, I found this company whilst in college. like threadless.. you submit deisgns.. however rather than receiving a lump sum for your design.. they work purely on a commission basis.. you only get paid more if your design is popular and sells well.

Pixar studios - I've already tried expressing how envious I am of these guys but I would love to be able to create something that is loved by so many for the same reasons I love their work.. combining characters, humour, narrative and fun

www.pixar.com


Renegade Studios - I first researched these guys because of their remaking of the Mr.Men cartoon series.. the simple animation style and background design to the cartoon (mixed with humour) just makes me smile every time I watch the show..




Aardman Studios - famous for Morph and Wallace & Gromit, it more the history and reputation of the company that would make me want to contact them for work experience or a job. Although I want to create 3D models, I know how awkward and time consuming stop frame animation is! :P


Creative Spark - This is one of the studios based in Manchester that I have tried contacting purely because of their website and their 'Play' section on there.. so far.. nothing heard back from them. I need to start heading around some of the Manc studios to a) get my work noticed but also b) to receive feedback on my work and any advice they have for me...

www.creativespark.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment